Spiffing y'all up, one typo at a time
Hey, y’all. My dear friend Julie over at Sow, Sew, So wrote a recent post titled “Encouragement Matters.” It just so happens that I am blessed to call her my boss, too, and she’s one who puts that philosophy into practice.
That’s a very good thing. I am one of those people—I’d like to blame it on being the only child of a very encouraging mother—who really loves positive feedback. Kudos. Atta girls. And awards? I simply adore them.
In that same blog post, Julie nominated me for the REALITY Blog Award. I was thrilled and honored. I had my acceptance speech all ready. But then I found out all I have to do is answer a few questions! No microphone or spotlight, but cool nonetheless:
1. If you could change something about your life what would you change? I’d quit yelling at the TV so much over misspellings and the like.
2. If you could repeat an age, what age would it be? I’m sure I’m gonna want to repeat 75 over and over. I imagine it’ll be a fun time for me.
3. What one thing really scares you? Oh, pretty much everything. I am serious chicken s***. And that drove my mother crazier than anything else. Well, that and the sassing back, which was promptly met with a brush/wooden spoon/flyswatter upside my rear. (I love the South.)
Honestly, I am terrified by the lack of concern from major media outlets about their incredible linguistic sloppiness.
4. What one dream have you not completed yet and do you think you will be able to complete it? I’d really like to write a book and go on a grammar-promoting world tour. I think I can. (I might need y’all’s help!)
5. If you could be someone else for the day, who would you be? Whoever is in charge of the spelling and grammar checker in Word. I’d get that sucker whipped into shape.
Now, while one award is great, two is amazing! Back in October, another wonderful blogger (Fransi at Three Hundred Sixty-Five) shared the One Lovely Blog Award with me. For this one, I have to share seven things about myself. Here goes:
1. I prefer NOT to use the Oxford/serial comma.
2. I am fascinated by words that can be both adverbs and propositions.
3. I diagram sentences for fun. (Dear GAWD.)
4. I’m as bitchy about Spanish spelling and grammar as English. I’m two cranky language majors rolled into one. Bonus.
5. I consult my red 11th edition Webster’s dictionary at some point every single weekday.
6. I think there’s no better grammar manual than Gregg’s. Best ever. By far.
7. My dream job would be with the Texas Rangers. If they’d hire me, I’d make sure they add the comma of direct address to all the pennants and signs and stuff. Go, Rangers!
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope it doesn’t feel like a waste since you only learned about me and not about grammar, punctuation, mispronunciations, alcoholic beverages, and the South. Oh, if you haven’t checked out my blog roll, do me a favor and go take a look. There are links to some really talented bloggers on there (Dave, Martha, Chrissy, Outlaw Mama, Jennifer, and more). We’d all thank you kindly.